There are many people that are heavy drinkers that may ask themselves if they are really addicted to drugs and alcohol or have someone close to them ask them if they have a problem. If you are pondering on whether you have an addiction, there are a few questions you can self-test yourself with to clear up whether you are or are not.
- Do you try to avoid family or close friends while you are using drugs or drinking?
- Do use or drink when you are disappointed, under the pressure or have had a quarrel with someone?
- Can you handle more drugs or alcohol then when you first started consuming it?
- Have you ever been unable to remember part of the previous evening, even though your friends told you that you did not pass out?
- When drinking or using with other people, do you try to have extra consumption when you think other will not notice?
- Do you sometime feel uncomfortable if alcohol or drugs are not available?
- Do you sometimes feel guilty about your drug use or your drinking?
- Has a family member or close friend expressed concern or complained about your drinking or using?
- Have you been having more memory blackouts recently?
- Do you often want to continue your drinking and using after your friends say they have had enough?
- Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink or use regularly?
- When you are sober, do you sometimes regret things you did or said while drinking or using?
- Have you tried switching the brand of your drinks or the type of drug, or following different plans to control your consumption?
- Have you sometimes failed to keep promises you made to yourself about controlling or cutting down on your drinking?
- Have you ever had a DWI driving while intoxicated or DUI driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs violation, or any other legal problem related to your consumption?
- Are you having more financial, work, school, and/or family problems as a result of your consumption?
- Do you eat very little or irregularly during the periods that you are drinking or using?
- Do you sometimes stay drunk for several days at a time?
- Do you sometimes have the shakes in the morning and find that it helps to have a drink or drugs of some kind?
These questions can be instrumental in trying to decide if you need help with substance abuse. There is no shame in having a problem with drugs and alcohol and there is help right now to help you get through the discomfort of addiction.